Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Banana Christmas Tree...

I noticed it about a month ago. If you go to the Taylor Bend YMCA you may have seen it yourself.

I walked upstairs one day to head to my workout, and there it was; a Christmas tree. However this Christmas tree was oddly decorated. It had clusters of grapes and bananas and other fruit placed all around its branches. It also had the usual things like lights, tinsel, and the star, but honestly the only thing that stood out to me was the fruit.

So, I hurried off to start lifting weights (its seems like I am always in a rush at the Y) and as my iPod was singing to me and my muscles were cussing at me, for some reason the thought of the tree decorated with fruit would not escape my mind. In my head I was trying to think of reasons why someone would decorate a tree like that, but I came up empty. I decided to walk by again, look at the tree, and see if they had some kind of program or activity they were promoting through this display. After all, they do frequently use creative means for advertising upcoming events and programs. Upon further inspection, I could see no evident promotion. For whatever reason, I was intrigued by a pine tree that was clothed in delicious fruit.

It was different than what I expect out of a pine tree. Because it was so odd to me, I desired some sort of explanation for it. This is nothing new. I mean, who doesn’t demand an explanation when something exists in a manner that is contrary to their understanding of the world. Bananas don’t grow on pine trees. What gives?

So I ponder a little further and it hits me. The words of Jesus in Luke 6:43-45 come to mind.
“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.”

While I suppose in a forest of pine trees there is no morality at stake if a tree were to literally bare bananas, it goes without saying that the tree with the bananas would stand. I want to be a banana pine tree. I want to bear fruit that is memorable. I want to live selflessly in a way that causes observers to notice the fruit so that they may ponder about my fruit in the same way I pondered about the banana Christmas tree. I hope that they can look at my life, and upon seeking an explanation for the odd fruit they see, I hope that they will find God.

I don’t want to be like an ordinary pine tree. I want to stand out to the world like a banana Christmas tree.

What about you?

No comments: