Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Call To Fake It... (Fake It 'Till You Make It Pt. 5/Fin)

The development of these disciplines allows us to run to God and seek him even when we don’t feel like it


So when you are strong, nurture your roots. Build them up. Strengthen them. Spend time learning God’s truth through the scriptures, through fellowship, through prayer, and through all the ways he desires to talk to you. When the times of weakness come (and yes my friend, they will come) your roots are what will hold you in place. Without them, you will blow away into that cycle of trying the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing... desiring fulfillment, and finding none. Before you know it, you won’t even be able to go through the motions anymore. You will be destroyed.


The Psalmist captures that darkest of darks....


I'm standing my ground, God, shouting for help,

at my prayers every morning, on my knees each daybreak.

Why, God, do you turn a deaf ear?

Why do you make yourself scarce?

For as long as I remember I've been hurting;

I've taken the worst you can hand out, and I've had it.

Your wildfire anger has blazed through my life;

I'm bleeding, black-and-blue.

You've attacked me fiercely from every side,

raining down blows till I'm nearly dead.

You made lover and neighbor alike dump me;

the only friend I have left is Darkness.

-Psalm 88:13-18 (The Message)


And a contemporary folk band tells us how to be prepared…


So hold on to what you believe in the light…

When the darkness has robbed you of all your sight…
-Mumford and Sons


If you build roots, you can weather the storm.


You can fake it ‘till you make it.


You can live faithfully until your heart catches up.


That is my prayer for you all; that you would know God, and be able to trust him even when your heart is not there.


Hold on to your strength and your shield (Psalm 28:7.)


God Bless You.

No comments: